Thursday, March 15, 2012

EDU: What/ why do you read?

I typically don't have time to read during the academic year, if i do have time to read it's required reading for classes that take up my time.

It sounds absolutely pathetic that i don't know what i like to read, but i don't. I think this is partially because i don't have time to really settle down and read a good book.  As a kid i was a slow reader, I was a good reader and was good at pronouncing words and sounding things out but i had trouble comprehending what i read and i read it really slow. As a result, reading was something that i enjoyed doing but it took me longer than other students and i recognized this. In 4th grade i thought i was not as smart as the other kids in my class but it happened that i needed a little bit of extra help and after that i was good to go. I think that 4th grade is a pivotal time for students and literature and i think that because i was so discouraged at this time in my life because of reading and literacy i think it translated into my teen years as well.

Sophomore year in high school we had to do a book project where we read a book and watched the movie afterwards and compared the two together. I thought this was interesting because you go to compare and contrast the similarities and differences between the two. Since then i have really enjoyed reading books that are also movies and comparing the two with plot, characters and details.

i've enjoyed: the blind side, the last song, the sisterhood of the traveling pants, the lucky one, and when i was in middle school i had a strange obsession with the princess diaries series.

In high school we were required to read the catcher in the rye and while everyone else in my class hated the book i somehow found it interesting and  a good read. I think this was partially thanks to my english teacher; she was so passionate about this book, she really always liked the book and she was my favorite teacher so i found the book interesting.

I also enjoy poetry in books like-where the sidewalk ends. I like when things rhyme and i found these poems a great source of entertainment when i was younger. I also enjoyed a joke book when i was younger that i only remember one joke out of but i thought it was the funniest thing i had ever heard and asked my parents this joke probably everyday. "how do you know which end of the worm is the face?...tickle it and see which ends laugh!" i thought it was hilarious and felt the need to ask everyone i came across this joke until one day this book went missing. My parents probably hid the book because i was annoying back then especially with this book.

I enjoy reading, i wish i had more time to find books to read that i liked-i'm getting a kindle so i think that perhaps that will encourage me to have the opportunity now to finally find what i like the most with literature.

No comments:

Post a Comment