Saturday, February 4, 2012

Family Fun Night

I've always loved school If i didn't love school then i think its safe to say i'd be going into the wrong line of work. As a kid our school used to have a lot of different things for families to do. We had book fairs and family field days, family fun nights, ice cream socials and days when parents could sign up to come into school and bring a snack or teach the class a craft to do or help out in the classroom- in kindergarten. My family was always really involved and i think that is a lot of the reason i have such a positive attitude towards learning and school in general.

One memory that jumps out at me is family fun night! every year in the spring time our elementary school:  Brewster Elementary School in Durham CT  (K-2) used to go across town to my high school: Coginchaug Regional High School's Gym and we would participate as a family against other families in fun and silly activities. My mom and my brother (who was in 2nd grade while i was in Kindergarten) were paired together and my dad and i were paired together. we participated in events like the bean bag toss, the potato sack race, the scooter race, and the broom race. My favorite was the scooter race of course. I got on the little scooter and my dad had to push me across the gym running behind me to touch the line at the far side of the gym and push me back, at the other line we would switch and he would get on the scooter and i would push him to the line and back. Of course a small kindergartener pushing her 7'1 tall father on a mini scooter made for children under 7 was quite the sight to watch. We also did something like this in the fall before it got too cold and it was family fun field day! we did water games where you have a cup with a hole on the bottom and a bucket across a line on the pavement where you had to fill up your cup at one end and put it on your head and run across the pavement to empty the cup into the other bucket and hope to fill it up to the line and beat the other team. Looking back my parents were such good sports about participating in events like this with my brother and i. They came to every book fair, every conference, my mom made all the costumes for the 2nd grade play for both my class and my brothers class, my dad showed my 1st grade class how to build a bird house and my mom made sea otter beanie babies for my classes project about the ocean unit. Inspiring, good hearted , supportive people help create children who love to learn i fully believe that.

No comments:

Post a Comment